пятница, 17 июля 2015 г.

Renovation Inspiration – Boy’s Bathroom

Renovation Inspiration – Boy’s Bathroom

Today I wanted to share some of the inspiration I’ve been collecting for the future renovation of our 2nd floor bathroom, the plans for the space and some really gross “before” pics. Currently this space is our only full bath and is off our upstairs hallway. Post renovation, it will be used primarily by our boys and the occasional guest.


Here is Reed welcoming you to the current version of this bathroom. It’s quite dark with just one small window. It’s not a terribly sized space, but it’s very badly laid out as you’ll see. This is the view from the hall – tub/shower to the right, toilet and sink jammed into the back right corner behind the shower and a really large closet on the left.


Honey-and-Fitz-Hall-Bath-Before

Behold the perfect stomach virus bathroom. I can literally rest my chin on the sink while sitting on the throne. Short of that, I can’t think of a single situations in which this set up is a good idea. When all four of us are gathered around this sink/toilet at the end of the day it is a scene straight out of HGTV’s Love it or List it. It’s a joke. The boys have to stand on the toilet to brush their teeth and then lean precariously to use the sink. The chimney runs up the wall behind the tub/shower which is what is pushing it out a good 20″ into the room.


Honey-and-Fitz-Hall-Bath-Before-Toilet

I think I spent a solid 2 weeks searching for a storage solution for this bathroom when we bought the house. There was ZERO storage. No medicine cabinet, no drawers, no counter space…nothing. I don’t even understand how that’s possible. This piece was the only thing I found that a. fit in the corner and wasn’t so tall that it would block the single outlet in the room and b. wasn’t so deep that the drawers would hit the toilet when open. It’s not perfect by any means but it does the job of storing makeup, toilet paper, toiletries, etc.


Honey-and-Fitz-Hall-Bath-Before-storage

Directly opposite the toilet/sink is this an oddly large closet. Mr. H+F uses it as his closet and I can’t tell you how great that is. He wakes up, goes into the bathroom and is able to get ready for work all in this bathroom/closet area. The slope you see to the ceiling there is the stairs to our walk-up attic. And the wall on your left when you walk into the closet backs up to the hall linen closet.


Honey-and-Fitz-Hall-Bath-Before-closet

Ok, so are you still with me? Here is the plan for this bathroom after the remodel. The hall linen closet is getting shallower by about 3 feet (it’s currently huge with a full built-in in there). By stealing some space from there and from the big closet, we’ll be able to tuck the tub into that side of the room. We’ll still keep a closet but it will just be smaller/not as wide. The window stays where it is (replacement windows throughout the house) and the radiator goes (as they do throughout the house). The toilet remains largely, though not exactly, in the same spot. The chimney is getting removed which allows us to fit a double vanity where the current tub is AND make this room overall about 2 feet wider than it is now. I know that doesn’t sound like a lot but given the layout of the current bathroom, it’s like a whole new world.


Honey-and-Fitz-Hall-Bathroom-Plan

Now that we have a layout I am happy with, it’s time to get to the fun stuff! Despite the fact that I love color in practically every shade, I’m really into keeping this space simple, with strong, black and white elements for an overall classic and masculine look. Think black and white porcelain hex tile on the floors, white subway tile on the walls, brass touches and some weathered wood. I haven’t quite worked out how all of those elements will come together but here are some spaces that embody the overall feel I’m going for.


I will never tire of a classic black and white porcelain hex tile floor. The question is do I like it more like this with the white grout for a more uniform effect on the floor…(and is this going to be a pain in the butt to keep clean?)


9ff68c6b6c7e0f5b36273c58e07f334b
Or like this with the darker grout to call out the pattern more?

a6f164ee50ede8e82d59fa98ccf51be0

I love the look of a white subway tile wall with contrasting grout but now that I study these two elements side by side, I’m wondering if that plus a super graphic floor (like below) might be too much. What do you think? Maybe better to pick just one plane for the graphic zing and leave it at that. I also think these next two images have overly thick grout lines on the subway tile and are using black or very dark grout. I’d lean toward very thing (1/16″) grout lines in a lighter gray.


22bf70588fed35e9e1f270d4d61e1649

8ba3178ebc3ba08317752e21947da608
These grout lines and color grout are closer to what I’m thinking.

c8f4cf0ffcb6a5e679620943b33a81d3

So often you see this style of floor done with white, accented with black. This image is so striking in the reverse – black floors accented with white. But I’m hesitant to go dark on the floor again since I do hate the darkness in the room now with the navy floors. The room is going to be opened up, yes, but it will still only have the one small window.


70125148b7f4576207e1d3774e124546

38774bb32465c1a2dd9b31ae419dcffd
These images incorporate some more of the warm wood tones I like for the space.

28074d0d591b44a0a88fc217aeda4c8b

b9d38a8376414d9de10706f94aa4f8d5

2a3986d80f79f7558b0036ab93a96afe

c3e124d1d367cb3be49922522cf2f3b6

f6aa96c7dab4b4bfc4e87a67d365a12d
I love these old fashioned wall mounted faucets!

ad445db8ca654d155861f86dc04181a4
These brass fixtures against the soapstone tiles are just so striking!

aab019055a145db3b337306fd44766ac

I also really want to try and keep costs down in this room by using fairly basic materials (because I want to throw a whole marble quarry at my master bathroom. I’m a good mom like that, ha!) but of course you know there have to be a few splurges. For me that’s probably in the form of lighting. Really great lighting just elevates everything.


Here is my preliminary plan for the space. Of course I reserve the right to change every last thing here before construction starts, and probably will like 4x over.


Honey-and-Fitz-Classic-Vintage-Boy's-Bathroom

Subway Tile : Classic and cheap – what’s not to love about that? I want to do the wall over the tub and the whole wall above the vanity in subway tile with a light gray grout.


White & Black Porcelain Hex Floor with Border: Very modest as far as flooring goes but I love the idea of doing a border around the whole perimeter of the room to make it a little more special.


Gray Double Vanity: I have used this vanity before in white and I can’t say enough good things about it. Faucets, sinks and marble vanity top are included. I love that it comes in a charcoal gray. I think that’s perfect for this room. I debated a weathered wood but I think I like this much more.


Brass Knobs: To personalize the vanity a little, I’ll swap out the knobs for these leather and brass pretties.


Vanity Mirrors: These aren’t THE mirrors but generally speaking I’m leaning toward using the mirror to introduce some warm wood tones to the room. I’d love to find a vintage pair.


Brass Sconces: Antique brass sconces flanking each mirror. I love these. They’re so classic and handsome.


Black & Brass Hanging Fixture: This fixture is currently hanging in our playroom and I’m determined to find it a home post renovation. It might end up over our kitchen island with a friend but if not, I love the idea of hanging it with almost no chain in the bathroom. It’s big though – 17″ so I need to make sure it’s not too big. Though I do love me a big statement light.


Vintage Brass Train Rack: This one is vintage, and amazing…and sold But I’ve got time to stalk Etsy and eBay for something similar.


Vintage Brass Elephant Hooks: Yes the elephant hooks will be coming back! I first used them in Knox’s Nursery and now they are in our mudroom. They’re too special not to use again I think and I love the whimsical flair they add.


Oversized Navy Buffalo Check Fabric: For a double shower curtain or roman shade.


What do you think? Am I going to regret going so monochromatic? I just want classic and handsome…something that works for my boys but is just nice in general too. I feel like I can make it more kid-friendly with some cute step stools, colorful towels and art if I want but the base of it can be neutral and classic. Did I say classic yet? Geez, ok…got it.



Original article and pictures take honeyandfitz.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий