среда, 26 октября 2011 г.

Erin's Feature on Rip+Tan

Erin's Feature on Rip+Tan




















I’ve known Jenni Kayne since I was about five years old. Our families would spend summers in the same quaint Lake Tahoe village. I have many fond childhood memories of playing tennis and riding bikes with Jenni and her sisters. Even as kids, I remember that Jenni had a great sense of style. I’m continually impressed and amazed by everything she has accomplished, and being one of her biggest fans, I was honored to be featured on her blog Rip + Tan this week. Read our Q & A below.


JK: Tell us about your decision to come back to California, after years spent living in Paris and New York. What brought you back?


EF: I always had a feeling I would return to the West Coast when the time came to start our family. When we discovered I was pregnant, we decided to make the move so we could have our baby in Los Angeles and be closer to my family in California. I’m so happy we did. We love our new life here in LA.


JK: What drew you to your home and/or the neighborhood?


EF: After years of living in Manhattan, we weren’t ready to completely give up city dwelling. We chose West Hollywood because it still has the feel of being in the mix, but our home in the historic Sunset Square district is like it’s own little oasis.


JK: What is your favorite room or corner in the house? Why do you love spending time there?


EF: We have an informal living room/dining room set up on our terrace and that seems to be everyone’s favorite place to hang out, especially mine. It’s a great space for entertaining and relaxing.


JK: Tell us about the interior décor. How would you describe it and how does it differ from your New York or Paris style?


EF: I kept a family friendly focus when I was designing the interior of this house. I wanted it to feel bright, airy, and inviting. Like my other homes, I stayed with a neutral color palette of white, gray, and oatmeal, but for this house I really gravitated towards hearty, organic textiles like mudcloth, linen and robust textures like Berber rugs. There is a relaxed ambiance here with bohemian undertones that feel really well suited to our new family life.


JK: How do you tend to entertain in this house? Who comes over and what do you do? What do you serve?


EF: We love entertaining at home! The indoor/outdoor flow of the house makes hosting really fun and easy. We do a lot of al fresco dinner parties in warmer weather. I love to cook so I’ll usually serve a medley of vegetables alongside oven-roasted fish like wild salmon or halibut.


CAREER


JK: How has your brand grown and evolved over the years? Where are you now, aesthetically speaking?


EF: I think the aesthetic has come to be a unique, refined take on nouveau bohemian style. While my style has always been hyper-feminine, my recent collections convey a sense minimalism and simplicity through airy fabrics and relaxed silhouettes.


JK: Tell us about your beautiful home collection. How did this come about and do you see Home as being a permanent component of the brand?


EF: I’ve always loved interior design and had dreamt of doing a home collection for many years. The home collection came to fruition quite serendipitously as I was in the process of furnishing our new house and had commissioned some custom pieces from Tammy Price of Fragments Identity. What started as a personal project blossomed into our home collaboration, a collection of upholstered goods, textiles, and home accessories.


JK: What milestones in your career are you most proud of and what do you still hope to accomplish?


EF: This year I celebrated my ten-year anniversary of showing at New York Fashion Week. It’s hard to believe I’ve had my brand for over a decade because I still feel like I’m just getting started. At this point in my career, I’m most interested in exploring new ways of doing things. I’m personally tired of the traditional season-based fashion calendar and retail model. My focus is on creating pieces that have both year-round and life-long relevance.


JK: What is your day-to-day like as a designer? How do you find balance between work, friends, family, and self-care?


EF: I love spending time with my son first thing in the morning. I take him in our swimming pool or go for a long walk before I jump into my workday. As he is still so young, I try to keep my working hours contained from 9am-3pm (which is not always possible) but I have found that motherhood has brought me to new heights in efficiency and productivity. I try to combine self-care with my social life as much as possible. That could mean going on hikes with a girlfriend or on a spa date with my husband.


JK: What one piece in your current or upcoming collection are you most in love with and why?


EF: There are some really amazing tailored pieces in my current collection that have me really excited, especially because I’m usually more of a dress girl. This jumpsuit has become a go-to.


STYLE/WELLNESS


JK: Has your style changed since you moved to Los Angeles? Or since you became a mother? If so, how?


EF: Definitely! There is a component of both practicality and functionality that has to be considered. V-necks have become a must as I’m still nursing my son and I’ve definitely shifted towards machine-washable fabrics. Overall, my clothes have taken on a much more relaxed feel.


JK:What are some of your style essentials these days? What pieces can you not stop wearing?


EF: I definitely gravitate towards flowing silhouettes and maxi dresses. Or V-neck blouses with jeans. This blouse has become a go-to for me.


JK: What are your beauty essentials? Why do they work for you?


EF: I’m very selective about beauty products and am always looking for new organic options. My daily essentials are the Shiva Rose Glow Face Balm, along with Kjaer Weiss foundation and cheek stain, and Beauty Counter lip gloss.


JK: What beauty or wellness ritual do you cherish?


EF: I really just cherish the basics- a good night’s sleep and a long shower feel indulgent when you are a new mom.


JK: How do you stay healthy? Do you have any food, exercise, or mindfulness practices you subscribe to?


EF:I follow a plant-based diet and I eat according to the principles of food combining. I am also a hydro-colon cleansing enthusiast. I really believe that health equals beauty; when your internal system is clean and vibrant, you don’t need to do much else.


STYLE


JK: What's your uniform these days?


EF: I love to wear casual, flowing maxi dresses in organic fabrics like gauzy cotton. I like adding a cozy oversized cardigan on top or a vintage army jacket when the weather calls for it. I usually top it off with a pendant necklace like this one from my collaboration with Unearthen.


JK: Why did you gravitate towards these specific JK pieces? How do they jive with your personal style?


EF: I love JK knits. They are so soft and feel indulgent on the skin. These fit perfectly into my wardrobe as I'm a big lover of neutral colors.


JK: Where would you wear these outfits? How do they fit into your lifestyle?


EF: These are perfect about town looks- I could see myself going for lunch, coffee or a stroller date wearing these.


JK: Would you style them differently in New York versus LA? If so, how?


EF: I think the two cities often call for different accessories. In LA, I don't think twice about wearing barely there open toe sandals but in NYC, I usually choose a more structured shoe like a ballet flat or mule and the same goes for the bag. I think those details give a very different end feel to a look. LA is definitely more laid back.


JK: What are your tricks for making neutral colors look interesting/exciting?


EF: I think it can be exciting to wear neutrals in a monochromatic way. I always find it striking to see someone dressed head to toe in a soft color. Alternatively, bringing in bold contrast through black against softer neutrals like oatmeal can also make a strong statement, especially through accessories like eyewear, jewelry, belts, bags and shoes.


HOME


JK: What do you look for an in a home accent, object, or piece of art?


EF: First I like to feel an emotional response to the object. I want to love everything that comes into my home. Then I like to consider the piece in the context of my interiorscape. Will it fit in to the story a room already tells?


JK: Why did you gravitate towards these specific JK Home pieces? How do they jive with your space?


EF: All of these pieces fit into my home beautifully. I especially love the Victoria Morris vase on the console table of my living room. It's the perfect scale, weight, color and texture for the room.


JK:How do you know when a room is "finished"? Do you tend to be a minimalist or maximalist when designing a space?


EF:I'm a maximalist in my approach to layering textures, but a minimalist when it comes to three dimensional objects. I appreciate negative space in a room. I think that brings a lightness and airiness to a space and allows the pieces that are there to shine.


JK:How would you use the Victoria Morris pieces? As functional vessels or artwork?


EF:I love them as vessels for flowers and greenery, but I like to think of flowers and greenery as artwork in my home.


JK: Where do you trend to keep throw blankets/shearlings and how do they function in your home?


EF:I have them stacked in baskets scattered throughout the house.


JK: What one decorating tip or mantra do you live by?


EF: Commit to your vision.


This can require real discipline as there are so many directions a person can go in with decorating, but I think the best results come when spaces are edited with clarity and cohesiveness.


Photos by Nicki Sebastian


Shop this story


Erin Fetherston x Unearthen Pendant Necklace



Erin Fetherston x Fragments Identity mudcloth ottoman



Erin Fetherston x Fragments Identity mudcloth storage ottoman



Erin Fetherston x Fragments Identity mudcloth throw



Erin Fetherston x Fragments Identity mudcloth pillows



Erin Fetherston x Fragments Identity diamond print mudcloth pillows


Original article and pictures take cdn.shopify.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий